Answer the Question
1) The main purpose of this chapter is to inform business people of the importance of proper lighting as a security measure in a building. The author describes the various ways of analyzing insufficient illumination in a building. He also uses relevant examples to educate the public on the various levels of light and its relevance to aggravated burglary.
2) In this chapter, the author focuses on insecurity in commercial buildings and other private properties. He argues that improper lighting in these places is the main cause of robbery. This is evident through his continuous discussion of the relationship between lighting and insecurity. He describes the various levels of illumination and the effects each has on helping or discouraging thieves from implementing their intentions.
3) This informative section of the book provides vital information to the public concerning the avoidance of insecurity in one’s buildings. The author provides crucial strategies that can strengthen high-quality lighting. This includes fortification of the illumination system. According to the author, this is achievable by placing the lamps inside a barrier or other protective wraps. Switch boxes should also be in a hidden place to discourage intruders from accessing it. The property owner should also have transportable lights that can be useful incase of a power shortage.
4) While concluding this chapter, the person behind this literature piece provides a checklist that building owners can use in confirming whether their lighting is perfect. For example, the proprietors of these structures need to ascertain that the entire place has sufficient light. He or she should also focus of the lighting level of various sectors such as those with high value commodities or dwellings of vulnerable individuals like women.
5) From this literature work, it is important to understand the various types of lighting equipment as well as their effectiveness. Many lamps provide different levels of illumination. Efficient use of these apparatus secures buildings especially at night. Effective lighting equipment should be identifiable from far and light a large portion of the house.
6) In this chapter, the author has made several assumptions. He does not address the possibility of the system’s destruction by the intruders. They may distort the source of power by dismembering the connecting wires hence causing an artificial power failure. Furthermore, unstable flow of power may destroy all bulbs within the area. For this reason, the lighting concept has certain imperfections not addressed in this book.
7a) Through comprehension of the concepts in this chapter, people will experience pleasant results. There will be better security for their properties since it will be easier to locate an intruder and take appropriate safety measures. They will be able to purchase a lamp that suits their security requirements as well as their financial capabilities. As a result, the crime rate in the society will reduce significantly.
7b) Ignorance of the concepts in this chapter will negatively affect the involved parties. They will not be able to identify burglars in their homes or firms with ease. This will increase the insecurity levels in the area and they may end up losing various valuable items.
Questions not Covered in the Chapter
Is the information in this chapter adequate for creation of lighting systems at an individual level? Can this security strategy be more efficient by incorporating other security measures? Will the constant technology advancement affect the popularity of this safety measure?